Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Let Them Eat Pie!

I got this link today courtesy of my friend Joan. It's a thought-provoking article by a woman who finds herself wishing she had been a little less stringent about the things she had cooked for her father in his later years. She makes a good point, for a lot of folks a life of low-fat, sodium-free eating is not a life they enjoy living. For others, it's a good trade-off that they are more than willing to make. I think the trick is to find the reasonable middle ground. On the one hand, you couldn't reasonably serve up Cinnabons and a frappucino to a brittle diabetic just because you wanted them to be happy on their birthday and I wouldn't feed Mama bacon and fritos just because she was bored with her low-sodium diet. You might as well put a gun to their heads. But on the other hand you can often find ways to relax dietary restrictions that won't be lethal when it would make life a little more enjoyable. Like most of life, it's a matter of balance. And choice.

2 comments:

Joan of Argghh! said...

Yes, it is a delicate dance. When my mom was on cumadin, she needed someone to cook the non-green veggies for her. Squash, and carrots and onions and corn and oh, so many lovely things to be created with them. It was a pleasure for us both.

But that article was such a friendly reminder of the person behind the need. I'm glad you like it.

Betsy said...

Yes, well we have that going on too. The Farmer's Market is my friend that helps me keep things interesting and delicious.