Thursday, September 11, 2008

A really good day

Today I did something that I have always wanted to do but never have for whatever reason. I went with a friend to the county extension office and attended a workshop on growing herbs. There was a very informative talk on growing and caring for herbs and then we got to plant our own herb dish garden. It has chives, thyme, tarragon and parsley in it plus some alyssum for color and I just love it. Then we watched a cooking demonstration of some recipes using herbs and then we got to eat some really good food. So for $15 and two hours we got an herb dish garden, some great recipes, a tasty lunch and inspiration for more great ways to cook healthy and low-sodium food. So I'm back up on my soapbox - when you have great herbs and spices you don't need all that salt. When we left we went to the farmer's market to buy some fresh produce to test-drive our new recipes.

As an added bonus I found information on other classes and workshops offered at the extension office. We're thinking about signing up to make rain barrels next. Check with your county's extension office, it's a wonderful thing.

No comments: