Sunday, July 26, 2009

More Good Eating Fast and Cheap!

So with the employment situation still not, shall we say, optimum I'm watching that food dollar pretty closely these days. But I still have to keep the meals nutritious and the sodium low for Mama's good health. We're both real fond of fish but our favorite orange roughy is generally too pricey so we've grown fond of tilapia. Winn Dixie almost always has frozen tilapia fillets buy one, get one free so I stopped over there and got a couple of packages last week. Having those fillets in the freezer means I can cook up a meal in no time flat too, I cooked some after church today and had dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes. There was a recipe on the back of the package that is similar to one I already use so I adapted what I liked from both and it was a success! Here's the whole meal start to finish:


Soak rice noodles in a dish of hot water. Mix a cup of orange juice, 1-2 tbsp of honey mustard, powdered ginger and black pepper to taste in a microwave-safe baking dish. Add 2 tilapia fillets. Cook your favorite frozen vegetable in the microwave (watch the sodium content, the ones with sauce can be way too high for a low-sodium diet.) Then cook the fish in the oj mixture in the microwave for 4-5 minutes. Drain the noodles and you're ready to eat! I did put about a teaspoon of cornstarch in the oj mixture after removing the cooked fish and brought it to a boil to thicken up the sauce but that's optional. So there you go - a nutritious, low-sodium dinner for 2 on the table in less than 20 minutes for under $5. Awesome!

No comments: