Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Rehab & LTC Facilities

I went over to visit a local facility this morning, West Jacksonville Health and Rehabilitation Center. They are coming to speak at our senior's lunch meeting at the church this month and they are going to help me launch an exciting new program for older adults in our church and community. I'll tell you more about that later, it's going to be great! Anyhow, I was just so impressed with them and their facility. I spend a good bit of time in my pastoral care duties visiting folks in hospitals and nursing homes and I'm just amazed a lot of time at how different they can be. Some are good, some not so much and some are just awesome. This one belongs in the awesome category. Not just because it was clean and bright and cheery which it certainly was, but because it shows in the faces and attitudes of the staff and the residents. Every staff person I met was upbeat and cheerful and you can tell that they really do love what they do and that results in happy residents. It breaks my heart to visit some places where it's obvious that many of the residents have just been parked in a hallway or community room and they're not doing anything, no one is interacting with them and they just look so sad and alone.

If you find yourself needing to choose a rehab or long term care facility for yourself or a loved one, please be sure to visit several before you choose if at all possible. Observe the staff and the residents in addition to checking out the physical facilities and trust your instincts about the atmosphere. If it's one of the good ones you'll be able to tell.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sent this to a friend who's mother may have to go into nursing home. It's good to hear that there are good homes in our area, alot of them aren't.

Betsy said...

Yes, there are some adn as I said, the best thing to do is to visit several to observe not only the facility but the staff and how they interact with the residents and each other. Then listen to your gut.