Monday, May 12, 2008

Barley Salad Redux

I made this salad the other day after I posted the link to it and it was surprisingly delicious. Seriously, I almost lived on it for a couple of days that's how much I liked it. Barley and vegetables and rice wine vinegar - chock full 'o fiber, very low in calories and sodium and my mom liked it a lot as well. I'll probably make some more tomorrow.

Anyhoo... for those of you who need more details in a recipe than you got from the previous link I'll tell you how I made mine. But the beauty of this recipe is that you can use whatever you want in the way of veggies and have it as a vegetarian meal or a side dish, or add some form of protein to make a complete meal.

Betsy's version:

Cook 1 cup of barley according to package directions (one cup dry makes over 3 cups cooked). Let it cool while you chop the veggies. I used carrots, cucumber, summer squash, tomatoes and edamame. Mix the vegetables with the cooled barley. Add 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar, 2 packets of Splenda, black pepper, basil and tarragon. Mix well and chill. Enjoy!

No comments: