Thursday, April 10, 2008

What's for Supper?

It's that time of day again. Time to figure out what to cook for dinner. Because Mother doesn't trust most restaurants to not put salt in her food I can't go for take-out like most folks, so we eat in and I cook. I've adapted or created quite a few recipes out of necessity so I'll check the freezer to see what's available and decide from there. Be right back.

Okay, so Publix had Orange Roughy filets on sale a week or so ago and I picked up several packages of that. We usually eat tilapia since it's less expensive but I watch for those sales and so this week it's orange roughy, a mild white fish that we enjoy. This is the basis for my go to "fast food" meal, so called because I can cook it in less time than I could get in the car and drive down the street to one of our neighborhood drive-thru's. Seriously, I can put this very healthy meal on the table in about 10 minutes. Here we go:

  • defrost the fish about half way in the microwave
  • heat a little olive oil in a saute pan and add the fish filets with some pepper and McCormack's salt free "It's a dilly" seasoning with the heat between medium and medium-high
  • put a package of Green Giant "Simply Steam" veggies in the microwave. Tonight I'm using the green beans & almonds.
  • turn the fish and season the other side
  • put a package of Uncle Ben's 90 second brown rice (has to be the brown rice, all the others have too much salt) in the microwave
  • go set the table
  • by the time the vegetables and rice are cooked the fish will be done
  • enjoy! Now, wasn't that easy?
  • Approximate calories & sodium per serving - 490 calories, 180 mgs of sodium, not counting any butter or margarine you put on your rice.

No comments: